Written in simple rhyme with many full spread illustrations, these are two beautiful books honor our brave and selfless service women and men. Each set of pages focuses on a different post or role in our armed services. The book lends itself to a variety of conversations such as:
- Who is the narrator? (first person, from a child’s perspective) Why do you think the author decided to use this perspective?
- What do you notice in the illustration? What questions or wonders do you have?
- Which pages tell or show a feeling? What is the name of that feeling?
- What is special and unique about the relationship between a parent serving in the military and his/her child?
- What’s hanging from those parachutes? It’s not a person….
- I can read some of this book because the words ‘match’ (ie rhyme).
- My mom wears that same uniform!
- Seven seas? What does that mean?
- I think that (“inspire”) means that I want to be like him when I grow up.